Saturday, January 5, 2008

Working for Disney




I like to think my adventure with Disney began a little early because I became a Christmas temp at my local Disney Store in early October. I've really enjoyed my time there and they must have liked me because they have let me stay on until I leave for Florida!

I was inspired to write this because today I had an experience I didn't think I would have. It was a normal day for me at the cash reigster today selling shed loads of sale items and High School Musical merchandise (who knew it would be so popular?!) and a little girl comes to me with her grandmother. She is about six years old and I could tell she either had downes syndrome or was autistic or perhaps both I'm not sure. She couldn't really talk properly because of her disability but she pointed at my High School Musical 2 T shirt (which is my uniform) and she clapped at it. I asked her if she liked High School Musical and she made a few sounds which suggested she did. She was smiling so much and was really mesmirised by my t shirt.

Her grandmother was actually buying her a Snow White dress and when I was putting it in the bag she got so excited it actually almost brought a tear to my eye, it was so moving. I asked her if the dress was for her as I often do with the kids (she giggled really excitedly) and I can't really describe how her reactions made me feel. Here was a girl right in front of me who probably knows already at the age of 6 that she is *different* to other children... yet she seemed especially content and delighted that she got to dress up as a princess... just like any little girl. She seemed almost happier than other little girls of her age. To know the dress had made her feel so happy was a really nice feeling.

They say that is the magic of Disney. I think it's one of the reasons I have such a high respect for the company. Not only that but I feel without Disney my own childhood may have been more traumatic and less musical. I love how much delight it brings to people and I think it's especially wonderful how even the foreign or the mute can still recognise and be delighted by a Disney character. And there really is no age limit on the joy. I've seen that already without even being at Disney World.

No comments: